Member Profile: Shane Baron

Occupation: Husband, Father (of 3) and Vice President at The Abbey Group, a real estate development and management company

CrossFitting Since: Fall 2010

Favorite CrossFit WOD: Diane or anything heavy or with handstand push ups

shane row

Favorite CrossFit WOD Song: Like Shorty, Black and Yellow – it brings back fond memories of my early days at the old gym with Stacey, Ron, Justin, Haley and Erika the stalker.

Cheat Meal of Choice: The list is too long and I don’t eat very clean to begin with, but my top 5 are chips (any kind but barbecue potato chips are my favorite), pizza, donuts, chicken parmesan from Paparazzi and tater tots.

Greatest CrossFit Achievement So Far: Turning others onto CrossFit while avoiding the preacher approach. I have gotten my wife (Jessica), sister, sister-in-law and my good friend Tom (you all know him – he is the tall loud guy in the mornings!) all CrossFitting!

One interesting thing about yourself not related to CrossFit: Not sure if anyone has noticed, but I am short. On a more serious note, during and after college I did a lot of rock and ice climbing and had the good fortune to climb all over the US. I spent a period of time in Yosemite and climbed some very famous routes. Jess and I actually met in North Conway, NH and got to know each other stuck on a belay ledge on a climb called Thin Air. A year later I proposed to her on that same ledge and the rest is history!

Complete the sentence: “CrossFit should…” make you lay on your back in a puddle of sweat, bleeding, dizzy and nauseous, thinking to yourself what the fuck just happened and when can I do it again!

Why do you CrossFit: To look good naked…hasn’t happened yet but I am not giving up!

barons

Favorite CrossFit Moment: This past Thanksgiving we were down in PA at my dad’s house and my sister, Jess and I got to workout together at CrossFit Newtowne. It was the first time I had ever worked out with Jess and it was awesome!

April 24, 2014
Strength:
Bench Press 5-5-5-5-5
- Use more total weight than 140410 (EX: you benched 135#, 165#, 185#, 205#, and 225#, for a total of 915#. Bench more today!)

3 Rounds:
15 Power Cleans (135#/95#)
15 Box Jumps (24″/20″)

Weekend Schedule Updates:
Please note there will be no coach present for the CFF Endurance Meet Up at 9 AM this Saturday, April 26th, so the box won’t be open, but you’re certainly encouraged to meet up and run.  Please e-mail Eric with any questions about the workout.

Please also note there will be no open gym this Sunday, April 27th.  We’re very excited to host an Olympic Weightlifting clinic with USA Weightlifting and 2012 Olympic Team member Holley Mangold that day from 9 AM to 1 PM.  Space is limited, so please contact us ASAP to reserve your spot.

13 comments for “Member Profile: Shane Baron

1. SamB
    April 23, 2014 at 8:42 pm

I love Ron’s expression in the background of the comp pic.

2. haley
    April 24, 2014 at 6:43 am

Shane, I love this! I too think of the old morning crew from the original box every time I hear Black and Yellow… though I’m glad I don’t hear it as often as we did back in those days :) You and Jess were always awesome to work out with and I always had a great time trying to keep up with you in workouts. It’s great to see you guys are still crushing it! Miss you… keep up the awesome work!! (And for the record, I thought Erika was pretty stalkerish, too…)

April 24, 2014 at 6:49 am

Loud? Guess I’ll have to show you what loud really means at 5:30 in the morning …

185, 190, 195, 200 (3 reps), 185

7:28 wow that hurt. I think I was unconscious on the last set of cleans and lost count so did extra … otherwise Chris would have been toast

• Chris
      April 24, 2014 at 10:01 am

185# and 7:25 rx

I’ll take it any way I can get it Tom. I am casting an official vote for you to program a workout and name it with an F-bomb.

I keep coming back to the 5:30 to try and stay within 5 minutes and 25lbs of Shane. I might get there one of these days.

4. SamB
    April 24, 2014 at 9:35 am

165, 175, 185, 190×4, 165
    wod: 6:12 Rx … whoah! good one! serious chest burn. when blasting out of the gate unbroken, and that second set of cleans was murderous!
    great work everyone!
    Tom, you are loud.

April 24, 2014 at 9:37 am

THE BARON FAMILY IS SO CUTE. You both are wonderful workout friends!

6. Elyse
    April 24, 2014 at 9:40 am

bench press: 55-60-65-75-80×3
    wod: 5:49 at 75#

shane and jess – your family is adorable :)

April 24, 2014 at 10:04 am

It’s always great to see you crush the strengths and WODs while not taking yourself too seriously.

Always privilege to work out with you and Jess!

April 24, 2014 at 11:03 am

What a beautiful family, Shane. I’m sure they think you’re Superman!

BP: 135#, 155, 165, 175, 180 x 3

April 24, 2014 at 2:17 pm

BP – 135#, 185#, 215#, 225#, 235#
    WOD – 4:51 Rx – that was tough…but aren’t they all!

Nice work 5:30

Thanks everyone for your very nice comments. It is truly a privilege to workout with all of you! Jess and I love being a part of the CFF community.

10. Tony
    April 24, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Bench: 275 # – same weight as last time: 225, 245, 265, 275, but the 275 felt a lot heavier today.

WOD: 5:10 RX – less resting would’ve meant sub 5, but the flesh and mind were weak.

11. Bre
    April 24, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Shane — this write-up was great, and funny. All through my first year of crossfitting with the 5:30am crew, you totally inspired me! Jess too!

12. Moe