East Coast Championships: It was about the Journey

I’m usually not a fan of hippie-dippie nonsense like “it’s about the journey, not the destination”, but in the case of this past weekend’s East Coast Championships it really was about the journey.  It had to be.  I mean, the team I was a part of looked to our left in our first heat, and there were the 2-time defending Affiliate Cup champions.  Down a few lanes to our right was a “dream team” featuring the 3-time defending Fittest Man on Earth, Rich Froning.  Given the caliber of the other competitors, it could not have been about the destination.

In my view, our teams entries in the East Coast Championships were about the journey we took training together for a competition of this level (difficult to find outside of Regionals), and the experience we gained.  It was exciting to participate, and I’m proud of the efforts of our teams, but ultimately I’m happy because our preparation and planning was good, and we can build on the lessons learned.

view

On a personal note, this competition was a bit of redemption for me.  At last year’s individual version of this event (there was no team division) I showed up more injured than I was willing to admit to myself, and had some moments that were far from my best.  This year I’m healthier, I could handle everything that was thrown at us, and I felt like I belonged.

Thank you very much to everyone that came out, or tuned in online to support us.  It means a lot to have our CrossFit Fenway family there.  It makes us work harder, and makes us better.  Also, a special thanks to Kyle B, who filled in for unavailable or injured athletes several times throughout the build up to the event.

January 28, 2014
Strength: Front Squat 3-3-3-3-3

AMRAP 7:
7 Power Snatches (95#/65#)
10 Wall Ball Shots (20#/14#)

Compare to 130828

19 comments for “East Coast Championships: It was about the Journey

January 28, 2014 at 7:01 am

FS actually felt pretty good for once. 195# perhaps more next time.
    WOD was rough. 4 plus 15 RX. Thanks for the push Shorty.
    Did more last time but don’t think it was RX…

2. SamB
    January 28, 2014 at 7:42 am

FS: 230#… 3 rep pr. right after I complained to Joe that I couldn’t front squat more.
    WOD: 6+5Rx… got 6+1 last time. i’m still resting too much. coming out of the gate too hard…?
    great job 5:30

• SamB
      January 28, 2014 at 9:12 am

forgot to say… awesome work competitors! it was fun to watch you guys against the likes of froning and hack’s pack. I can’t even imagine what it must of been like to spend all day working out there. I was sore as hell just standing around watching!

btw… anytime anyone says ‘hippie dippie’ is makes my day. nice work eric.

January 28, 2014 at 8:28 am

Awesome work by everyone who competed and all of those who rooted on our athletes this past weekend. Unfortunately Cal and I couldn’t be there, but it’s great to here that you continue represent Fenway so well.

FS: 195# Pretty ugly.

WOD: 4+12 Rx
    8 reps more than last time, but should have definitely gotten 5. It was great to be neck and neck with Tom on this one. Always good to have someone to race. Great work 5:30am!

January 28, 2014 at 8:33 am

FS: 95# embarrassing, quads so sore they don’t work!

WOD: 2+10 Rx. First time with 14# ball, failed about half my reps but I tried!

Great job 5:30

• Brooke Ilene
      January 28, 2014 at 9:08 am

Don’t be embarrassed! Sometimes they don’t want to work :) Awesome job getting after the 14# wall ball!

5. Mandy
    January 28, 2014 at 8:41 am

Front Squat
    95-115-125-135-145(pr)

snatchballs
    5+10 rx
    Last time we did this got 4+6 so I’m happy to improve but should have moved faster in transitions

Great job competitors!

• Brooke Ilene
      January 28, 2014 at 9:06 am

So glad that you’re blogging! And I like seeing your sets. That’s helpful! Perhaps, I shall do that too from now on too! Twerk Twins.

Front Squat: 95-115-135-155-165
      Snatchballs: 5+2 rx

Nice work, all!

• Rachel
      January 28, 2014 at 10:13 am

Snatchballs!

January 28, 2014 at 9:12 am

FS – 315# – felt good
    WOD – 6+8 Rx – paced this poorly…came out of the gate hot and then exploded at the end.

Nice work 6:30!

• SamB
      January 28, 2014 at 12:54 pm

you got through that last round of snatches though…. I just couldn’t lift the bar for the last 2. totally died. nice work dude.

• Tom Matlack
        January 28, 2014 at 6:12 pm

Yeah but he got an extra hour of sleep and only showed up because I ripped his ass out of bed.
        He can snatch like an SOB but can’t seem to set an alarm clock to save his life.

7. Kate
    January 28, 2014 at 9:18 am

FS: 125#
    WOD: 4 (65# bar, 12# ball)
    Awesome job Sarah!!!!

8. Tim
    January 28, 2014 at 9:29 am

FS: 135-155-175-185-190 (PR is 200 but not enough sleep + terrible eating over the past month is keeping me down.)

WOD: 4+8 Rx (last time was 5+3 @ 80#)

Congrats competitors! Proud to have such excellent CFF representation!

January 28, 2014 at 9:45 am

FS: 125# and felt like there were a million pounds on there. woof.

WOD: 3+9 Rx. 2 more reps than last time, mostly in part to failing so many damn wall ball. yikes.

good work, 5:30! congratulations to the competitors this weekend – I’d love to hear more details!

10. Ky
    January 28, 2014 at 1:51 pm

FS: 120 lb

WOD: 3+6 rounds Rx (First time using 14 lb wall balls in workout, it was difficult but it felt good)

11. Olivia
    January 28, 2014 at 2:29 pm

FS: 165#. eh.

WOD: 5 + 7 with 16# wall ball. In retrospect, 16# was a bad idea. I kept airballing it and ended up doing mostly sets of five. I’ve been using the 10# lately because my forearms have been acting up. I have no idea why I thought using the 16# made sense today… :-) Maybe that competition took just as much out of me mentally as it did physically!

Thanks to all of you supported us through the ECC! It was a pretty awesome and intense first competition experience for me!

January 28, 2014 at 5:17 pm

FS: 205#
    WOD: 4+8 @ 75#

13. Scott H
    January 28, 2014 at 6:42 pm

Ehhhh, not a good day today. Got to shake it off.

FS: 165#