What I learned from Tom Brady.

If you weren’t awake until 1:00 in the morning Sunday, I’ll recap. New England trailed the Broncos 24-0 at the half Sunday night, and there was not much reason to think they could recover from two awful quarters of football. According to ESPN, teams that trailed by 24 points or more at halftime were 5-485 heading into Sunday night. 5 wins, 485 losses. Not great odds. In the interest of not boring everyone reading this, in a stunning turnaround, the Patriots came out for the second 30 minutes, and they chipped away and chipped away and chipped away until they beat the Broncos 34-31 in overtime.

tom-brady-patriots

So, what did I learn? At all levels of any sport or training, “selective amnesia” regarding bad games, bad lifts, bad workouts, is an incredibly valuable mental skill.

Relate this to your life in the gym. People who are high strung and constantly stressed out, worrying and second-guessing everything never make progress. It’d be physically impossible with your cortisol (the stress hormone that eats muscle tissue and increases the storage of body fat) levels always jacked up, and your testosterone levels constantly being suppressed.

Screen Shot 2013-11-26 at 3.45.10 PMNow, I know that life throws tons of unexpected stressors at us. We can’t avoid that and that’s not what I’m suggesting. I’m saying that you can at least reduce the stress in your life, and the negative effects it has on your results.

So, when you have one of those days when you can’t go up on anything, don’t worry about it. Relax. It happens. We’re human. You don’t have to call up Dr. Phil. No need to jack up your cortisol levels over something that happens to all of us.

There is no such thing as perfect, but you can ruin your training in search of it. Focus on what matters, trust the process, and chill out bro. And bro-ladies. Bras? Whatever.

Strength:
Push Press 3-3-3-3-3
3 Rounds:
30 Power Snatches (75#/55#)
30 Wall Ball Shots (20#/14#)

9 comments for “What I learned from Tom Brady.

1. Rej
    November 26, 2013 at 9:25 pm

I miss my CFF family. A couple PR’s up here in Canada over the past couple weeks so still truckin’ along. Happy Thanksgiving to you all this week.

2. Brooke Ilene
    November 27, 2013 at 8:57 am

Nice, post Samwell. As I said on the book of faces, Dr. Phil is obese and he writes diet books, so there’s that. But then again, I might be considered obese and we know you are, Sam, so there’s that too. Pass the stuffing.

Sled push was a nice warm up today, thanks Joe. FELT LIKE A WOD in itself!

PP – 125#
    Pukey, I don’t want to do this after 1 round WOD: 15:22rx

Yeah, 6:30am with Joe B’s Dad watching from afar!

Happy Thanksgiving, all! Safe travels!

November 27, 2013 at 9:13 am

Sled push: sled + 270#
    PP – 90#
    WOD: 16:45 with 45# and 10#
    Great work 5:30

This is a fantastic, deep post, Sam…well said. I feel you, bro.

November 27, 2013 at 10:11 am

PP: 95#.

WOD: 17:57 Rx. This WOD is not my friend.

wishing everyone a wonderful turkey day!

November 27, 2013 at 10:49 am

PP: 155# This didn’t go well.
    It was bad, but not as bad as I thought it would be. Great work 5:30am! Way to earn the gluttony!

6. Shannon
    November 27, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Guys! Thank you so much for all the well wishes and excitement this morning! We can’t wait for Saturday!

Push Press – 110#

WOD – 10:05 – with KB swings and a 12 pound ball. Joe was kind enough to let me modify so I didn’t rip my hands to shreds!

See you all in a few weeks!

November 27, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Push Press = 145#

WOD = 18:53 w/ 65# and 20#. Not my best performance.

November 27, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Bring Sally Up Bring Sally Down Free Standing Handstand Pushups…check it out!

9. Andrew
    November 27, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Push press 185, doubt the 3rd one counted but I’ll take it.
    WOD 12:17 rx, actually the first wod I liked doing