Over the long weekend several members of the CrossFit Fenway team achieved their August goal (done in September, but still) by completing the Wapack trail race. Jerilyn and Beau, who added a burpee, both finished with smiles and style, and this was common for the group. Amber C, Julie W (both of whom finished 2nd in their respective divisions), Shelley, Val S (formerly of CFF, now a Somervillain), and I took on the challenge, and despite getting lost, a few falls, and some puke, saw it through to the end. We were battered and bruised, but not broken. The 18 mile trail race up and over 4 mountains (twice! so, 8 mountains ascended and descended) was considered much tougher this time around than years past, most likely because of the slippery, humid conditions created by precipitation earlier in the day. This event is as much a test of physical preparation and capability as it is mental toughness. I’m very proud of all of our athletes that got it done this year.
We also had a few muscle-up milestones this month, as Martina strung together 6, and Maralene and Adie got bar muscle-ups (videos of Martina and Maralene above and below respectively).
Other August achievements included…
- Amanda L got a job
- Brooke competed at the Newton team throwdown, and did her first Spartan Race as well as her first GoRuck
- Cait completed a pair of workouts as prescribed, and was a Spartan
- Cynthia, on her quest to do all the girls, did Isabel and Kelly
- Erika visited us at least twice
- Jen and Mike moved to California :(
- Sean G survived the Smolov squat cycle
- Sam H squatted 450#
- Tony, in an effort to get down to his playing, easting, and drinking weight has shed 7#
Congrats to all that reached their goals! Please post any achievements we overlooked to comments, and if you’ve got a goal for September, put it on the board!
September 3, 2013
- Box Squat: just below or just at parallel, maintaining vertical shins @ 50%-60% 1RM back squat x 2 reps x 8 sets, EMOM
- Low Bar Back Squat 3-3-3
15 Hand Release Push-ups
Compare to 130219