Go Be a Drop-In

Aaaaaaand we are back from vacation! This past weekend, Adie and I ventured out to Ft. Lauderdale to visit  some friends. While most people probably want to do nothing, I would develop quite an issue going past three days without working out. This would have also been negatively amplified if I had consumed all the Mexican, sandwiches, and cereal I did without movement.

So of course we worked out and got to drop-in on some drop-ins! Jon and Natalie Coddaire from CrossFit Conquest in Davie, FL came in to Fenway a couple of months ago to workout. They were awesome and we became fast friends. Adie and I were welcomed with open arms when we went for 2 workouts out of the 4 days we were there. We followed whatever they were doing which was really cool programming. Friday was 15 Clean & Jerks (135/95) 30 burpees, 15 Clean & Jerks. Saturday was 30 MU, 150 Wall Balls, and 50 Cals on the airdyne. Yes, we did these workouts on vacation and yes it was an absolute sweat party after minute 5 in the warm up. Loved it.

CrossfitConquest

We made such good friends with them that we ended up having lunch, dinner, and a beach date over the weekend. I thought it was so cool that these random people came to visit our gym one day a while ago, and months later they were one of the factors that made our vacation so fun. Sure, everyone is extremely different and not all of us at every gym are alike. But the fact that CrossFit was the common denominator to bring strangers together from two different states to have a lot of fun is so unique. I also loved seeing how other classes worked and how other owners ran their gyms. Conquest is a great gym in Florida and was very similar to us in how they operated classes and how they viewed what makes a solid CrossFit gym. They also forced me to do a long, daunting WOD that I would have never had the motivation to do here, especially with an airdyne being involved.

So the next time you go somewhere, drop-in to another gym. I think it is one of the coolest things about CrossFit. Also, take pictures, do handstands, meet other coaches and members, then tell us so we can post it here!

TUE 7/2

Strength: High Bar Back Squat 10-10-10

WOD:    Teams of 2

10 Rounds

5 Deadlifts @ approx. 70% 1 RM (Moderately heavy)

200 M sandbag run

Partner 1 performs full round

Partner 2 performs full round until 10 rounds are complete

Partners must use the same sandbag, DL bars can be different

*If someone is performing the WOD individually:

5 Rounds

5 Deadlifts (same weight)

200 m sandbag run

: 90 seconds rest

15 comments for “Go Be a Drop-In

1. Kate
    July 2, 2013 at 8:29 am

HBBS: 45kg. I never get to say this, but I do think I could have gone heavier but we ran out of time.
    WOD: 15:38 (teamed up with awesome Alexis. 55kg dl)
    Great job 6 am! Welcome back Drake!

July 2, 2013 at 8:39 am

HBBS: 55kg Using a band on the outside of my knees to better my form.
    WOD: Team Sheedmeyer 14:39 (Cal @ 135# and me @ 115kg)
    Sand and sweat everywhere. Great job 5:30am. Good luck to everyone else braving this humidity in the later classes. Yikes.

• Cal
      July 2, 2013 at 9:05 am

perks of having a crappy 1RM is that 70% of it is pretty light. i love team wods.

HBBS: 50kg. 10 is so quite tiring!

3. Tim
    July 2, 2013 at 9:05 am

HBBS: 70kg
    WOD: Team of Two Tims 16:20 @ 90kg

Team WOD on a weekday was definitely fun – and sandbag was nice addition to the mix.

4. Ab Bee Cee
    July 2, 2013 at 9:58 am

HBBS: 125#

WOD: Team MMMBop 17:38- I did 65kg and Elyse did 55kg DL’s

My sandbag exploded about midway through my last run, so I was covered in sand by the end. Team WODs are so much fun though!

Good job 6am!

• Elyse
      July 2, 2013 at 10:54 am

Abby, I love the team name! that was a fun (and dirty) workout :)

HBBS: 40kg. I’m in the same boat as Kate, I actually think I could have gone a little heavier with more time.

• Ab Bee Cee
        July 2, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Thought you would get a kick out of that :)

5. Sam B
    July 2, 2013 at 11:31 am

I agree with Erika. I love dropping in. The first thing I do when I’m travelling is seek out the closest box. its really fun to check out others… but it makes me realize how great ours is.
    HBBS: 70kg. tough to figure out the weight. it was almost like a wod
    wod: Chris & I teamed up for 17:10 @ 275#
    tag-team wod was a good time.

6. Shannon
    July 2, 2013 at 12:55 pm

HBBS: Good thing I can add – I did 50KG but reported 45 this morning. Shawn got 63KG.

Team…Fun with Alliteration (Shannon and Shawn – say that five times fast)finished up in 17:46. 65KG deadlift for myself and 90KG for Mr. Hooley. Fun (sweaty) WOD today.

7. Mike G.
    July 2, 2013 at 1:42 pm

HBBS – 120kg each set was a mini-metcon in itself.

WOD – paired up with Matt to make ‘Team M+M Sweat Factory’: 140kg for me and i believe 100kg for Matt (who also was rowing due to a rolled ankle)(oh and he wore a weight vest the whole time too!) – 16:15.

July 2, 2013 at 1:43 pm

HBBS: 82.5 kg and even got from Joe something on the order of, “your form wasn’t half bad on that…”
    ten reps is a lot.

Had the speedy Victor on my team WOD. We did 14:07. I used 90 kg on the dead lift.
    Enjoyed the change of pace and the sprint/rest format.

July 2, 2013 at 6:19 pm

HBBS: 90kg – Should have gone a little heavier.
    WOD: 14:05 – Teamed up with young Mike. I did 250#. Should have gone 275#. Legs started getting heavy by the end. Fun.

10. Emily W
    July 2, 2013 at 7:30 pm

HBBS: 140#
    WOD: 13:16- did this one alone with the 90 sec break. The gym I’m at now doesn’t have sandbags so I used a 20# wall ball and 140# DL (that’s 70% but probably should have gone a little heavier).

11. Jen W.
    July 2, 2013 at 8:20 pm

HBBS: 70kg BOOM!

WOD: 60kg DL & 200m row (didn’t know about the weight vest option!) – finished in 13:24, so 14:54 with my phantom partner :90 rest. Probably should have gone a little heavier, but I have no idea where my 1RM is these days.

This felt awesome. I love Joe-gramming.

July 2, 2013 at 8:53 pm

HBBS = 60kg. Too light.
    WOD = 12:48. Teamed with Matt. 70kg for DL, again could have gone heavier for this. Less people in the street at 7:40pm than the rest of the day.