Gym Etiquette

From JOE:
The atmosphere at Crossfit Fenway is great.  We are lucky to have such a great group of people come to the gym every day.  We have a couple of gym pet peeves, but they have nothing to do with the effort or quality of our members.

The Gym
-Chalk is meant for the chalk bucket, and your hands.  It shouldn’t be used for writing on the walls, the floor, or anything else.
-Now that it is humid and gross outside, we need to take a bit more time to clean things.  If you leave chalk, mud, blood, or sweat on equipment, please take the time to wipe it down.  We have clorox wipes for most equipment, and wire brushes for the barbells.
-Being on time.  We understand that everybody has lives outside of the gym that cause you to be late.  As trainers we have been late, and from time to time our classes run late.  It isn’t a big deal to be late from time to time, but if you are someone who is routinely late you should try and work on that.  When people aren’t late, the class runs smoother and everybody gets more out of it because time isn’t wasted re explaining things.
-Know how much weight you are lifting.  We don’t talk about logging your results as much as we should, but it is very important.  When a coach asks you how much you squatted, you should know the answer.  Also, the question “how much weight should I use?” is easily answered if you have your past results written down.  We sell log books, and you can buy crossfit apps on your phone to use as log books.
-When someone is lifting, you should not be near them or in their way unless it is during the workout of the day when you are transitioning between the exercises in the workout.  When we are lifting in the middle of class, there is no need for walking in front of them or trying to pick up the weights at their feet.  Wait until people stop lifting before walking through their line of vision or getting weights to load your bar.
-Never leave or put away your equipment before the last person in your class is done working out.  The only time this is okay is if you really have some place to be.  If not, cheer on the person still working out for a few minutes.

96350-stock-photo-hair-blue-black-hair-hairstyles-line-bathroom

Bathrooms

We have pretty nice bathrooms, but they could certainly be cleaner.  They get cleaned on a daily basis…I    promise, but that isn’t always enough.
          -Water flows out of the showers and into the rest of the bathroom.  This was something that we didn’t  recognize would happen when we built the bathrooms, and we are going to take steps to prevent it.  Hopefully we can put up some sort of barrier so that doesn’t happen any longer.
            -It shouldn’t take more than 30 minutes to get ready in the morning.  I know we have multiple bathrooms, but spending any more time than that getting ready is too long.
-If you leave enough hair in the sink to make a hair doll, please make sure it is cleaned up before you leave the bathroom.
Moving forward with these little changes, we can all make CFF a little bit better of a place to workout, hang out, and ensure you have a great experience every time you come in.

WED 6/26

Strength: Split Jerk 1-1-1-1-1-1-1

WOD: Row 300m, 20 push press 135lbs/95lbs
Row 300m, 15 push press
Row 300m, 10 push press
Row 300m, 5 push press

20 comments for “Gym Etiquette

1. Brooke Ilene
    June 25, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Oh my god, I AM THE WORST and I’ve never been so guilty, except for the hair! I always clean it up since I am so bushly. Good reminders, get huge.

2. Cynthia
    June 25, 2013 at 8:47 pm

“hair doll”

3. Rachel
    June 25, 2013 at 10:03 pm

I will have nightmares about hair dolls now. Hair dolls and Nick Cage, I watched “Wicker Man” today.

4. Ab Bee Cee
    June 25, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Oh my god… I am such a VIOLATOR! I am so sorry for being a multiple offender. I will work on this….

June 26, 2013 at 6:57 am

SJ – 46kg (I’ve been doing that for 2 recently, so not a PR, but I feel better about my landing stance)
    WOD – 8:52 with 200m run and 65#

Always happy to see the 5:30 crew!

6. sam b
    June 26, 2013 at 9:29 am

SJ: 105kg pr. boom.
    wod: 9:45 Rx. awesome chasing Fitz today.
    5:30 was smokin today.

7. June 26, 2013 at 9:47 am

split jerk – 79KG pr
    WOD: 12:28 @ 105#

8. Tim
    June 26, 2013 at 9:48 am

Mmmmmm hair dolls.

SJ – 70kg
    WOD – 8:28 @ 65# which was really great scaling. Thanks, JT!

• June 26, 2013 at 11:22 am

Tim you could have gone heavier.

• JT
      June 26, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Thank you, sir!

9. June 26, 2013 at 11:29 am

One note about this blog post just from my point of view as another coach. We obviously have a great time here and love the day to day experience getting to workout and hang with our buddies pretty freely. It’s pretty loose around here for both coaches and members alike. The goal of this post is not to come down on anyone or single anyone out to the rest. It is simply to re-emphasize the do unto others you’d want done unto you rule. Obv no one likes a hair doll getting into their shower. Many don’t enjoy coughing in a pile of chalk doing burpees. And recording your weights/getting it down fast is really more for you to see the literal physical proof that you have gotten better AND you are also not chasing your tail in circles for 20 minutes lifting weight blindly. All we are trying to do as a gym and community is make the experience better for you and give you the best every time you work out. It’s what you deserve. So in conclusion, construct your hair doll, bring it home, and there you can grow a hair doll family. Now everyone is happy.

• Rachel
      June 26, 2013 at 1:59 pm

“So in conclusion, construct your hair doll, bring it home, and there you can grow a hair doll family. Now everyone is happy.”

I think this is how voodoo starts!

June 26, 2013 at 11:40 am

First time posting after 6 months with CrossFit Fenway

Split Jerk = 80kg. Huge PR for me
    WOD = 11:47 @ 45kg

Thanks to JT for tips and confidence on getting the PR on 3rd try.

• JT
      June 26, 2013 at 1:48 pm

You’re totally welcome – great work landing it! 20kg PR, NDB.

Keep posting!

• Sam B
      June 26, 2013 at 4:17 pm

thats a huge jump. congrats man. you must have really figured something out!

11. Shannon
    June 26, 2013 at 11:57 am

I think Shawn would be delighted if it took me 30 minutes to get ready in the morning. Gym etiquette should probably follow me home. Shower for time?

Split Jerk – 55KG – almost got 60 twice! Next time.

WOD: 11:47 with 77#

June 26, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Fun one today (except for the warm-up, Erika :0).
    74 kg on the split jerk. PR (but then only my second time doing it). Almost got 80.
    Went with 45 kg on the WOD. Might have tried 50 but wanted to stay conservative.
    Got done at 10:05 thanks to the rowing background.

• Erika
      June 26, 2013 at 7:52 pm

you dont think any of my warm ups are fun!

13. Jen W.
    June 26, 2013 at 8:50 pm

SJ – I put 62kg up a few times, working on form, then failed at 65.

WOD – 12:41 @ 30kg/66#

GYM.SO.HOT.EW.

14. Jess B
    June 26, 2013 at 9:01 pm

ok- the shower photo made me nauseous!

SJ – 47 kg! 11 kg PR!
    WOD – 10:52 @25kg pushpress felt like sloooow motion…