Here We Go Again

The 2013 CrossFit Games season begins Wednesday evening at 8 PM EST with the announcement of Open workout 13.1.  Discussing/guessing what might come out of the hopper may just be my favorite part of The Open.  Questions like:  Which movements can and can’t be programmed?  How difficult is it to judge?  And, what standards will be used?  All make for interesting conversation, you know, if you’re into competitive exercise.  Honestly, I think I prefer talking about and thinking about the programming to actually doing the workouts.  With the announcement imminent, what do you think it’s going to be?  What do you, or don’t you want to see?  Post to comments.JM_CrossFit_20130202_2526-M

March 6, 2013
Strength:
5 sets:
A1) Press x 3, climbing
A2) Strict Chin-ups x 6, rest 2:00 – 3:00

AMRAP 7:
7 Kettlebell Swings (32kg/24kg)
14 Pistols, alternating
21 Double-unders

Vote for CrossFit Fenway! Each of the last 3 years CrossFit Fenway was voted Best Health Club in the Boston Phoenix Best Poll.  This year we’re going for the 4-peat!  CLICK HERE to vote for CrossFit Fenway as the Best Health Club (in the Shopping category) for 2013.  Vote for any of your other local favorites too, click submit, enter your name and e-mail address, then click submit again to cast your vote (once per day per e-mail address).  Show your CFF pride, and help us defend our title!

Scotty Rum’s Karaoke Night Fundraiser… With a Twist!  On March 9th Scott Rumrill is hosting a HUGE karaoke night at Copperfield’s, next to CrossFit Fenway.  Admission is $20, and all proceeds go to Scott’s fundraising effort for the American Liver Foundation.  The twist?  Sure, you can just do some good ol’ fashioned karaoke, or for a $5 donation you can pick a song and the person who sings it!  Immunity from being chosen to sing is available for an additional $10 donation at the door.  There will also be delicious barbecue courtesy of SoulFire.  If you can’t make it, but would still like to donate, Scott’s fundraising page is here.

CFF Spartan Race Team - Cynthia and Caitlin are forming a team for the Spartan Race in Amesbury on August 10th! This will be their first obstacle race, and they welcome the company of other first-timers and obstacle race veterans alike. Register here as part of team “Total Eclipse Of Your Mom” (they’re open to alternative team name suggestions if you don’t love “your mom” jokes and 80′s ballads as much as they do.) To get the cheapest registration rate, be sure to sign up before March 10th! Please e-mail Cynthia with questions, or come talk to us at the gym. LET’S WEAR SOME MUD, PEOPLE!

18 comments for “Here We Go Again

1. Cynthia
    March 5, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!! The Opennnnnnnnnnn!!!

2. Sam B
    March 6, 2013 at 9:10 am

I want to see all the things they probably can’t do: rope, row, wall balls. Anything that helps tall people! no handstand pushups or muscle ups please.
    Press: 62 kg. pr!
    wod: never tried pistols before. wow… not even close. nice job Rachel Rx’ing that one! 2+9. not happy with that.

3. Brooke Ilene
    March 6, 2013 at 9:37 am

Front Squats, Back Squats, Squat Cleans, Thrusters, Wall Balls, Deadlifts, Kettlebell swings, Split Jerk, Pistols, and an “AMRAP 7 minute Shavasana”. Wrong sport, but I’d go to the games with that one.

Press: 39kg
    WOD: 2+18 everything expect doubleunders, although got 11 in a row during practice

In about 5 weeks Erika and I are going to take on SANDWHICHES. I can’t wait.

4. Tim
    March 6, 2013 at 10:26 am

Press: 42kg
    WOD: 3+8 – first time swinging the 32kg KB in a WOD! Singles (dbl unders are my March goal).

End of Paleo confession: Giant sandwich from Bon Me food truck + half jar of peanut butter. It was delicious – and I feel like crap today. Getting back on the bandwagon ASAP.

Also just registered for the Open. Hoping for rope climbs, box jumps, running, wall balls, and cleans.

5. Shannon
    March 6, 2013 at 10:51 am

Oh pistols. Thank you for reminding me of all the things I need to work on – flexibility (check), strength (check), balance (check), everything (check). This was a weird work out – everything hurts but I feel like I didn’t do enough do be sore already.

Press – 30 KG – 35 twice but couldn’t mananage the third
    WOD – 2+12 of split squats. Finally stringing together DUs though! Yay!

• Shannon
      March 6, 2013 at 10:51 am

*manage

6. Mike G.
    March 6, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Press – 75kg

WOD – 3+14 Rx.

counting the minutes until 13.1 this evening…

7. Mike G.
    March 6, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Press – 75kg

WOD – 3+14 Rx.

counting the minutes until 13.1 this evening…

8. Mike G.
    March 6, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Press – 75kg

WOD – 3+14 Rx.

counting the minutes until 13.1 this evening…

• Rachel
      March 6, 2013 at 2:01 pm

YOU’RE SO EXCITED!!!!!

• Mike G.
        March 6, 2013 at 3:35 pm

and apparently i cannot hide it

9. Ron
    March 6, 2013 at 1:59 pm

WOD 3+17
    Press 60Kg

10. Jen G.
    March 6, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I’m just hoping to not see 11.6/12.5 appear. Or 12.1. I can’t even bear to mention it.

I’d like to see HSPUs, or even just some good old fashioned air squats.

11. POPEcarlos
    March 6, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Press – 60kg (3 rep PR! stuck on 65kg for 2)
    WOD – 4+2

good work this a.m., 7:00!

I’d like to see squats. Lots and lots of squats.

SQUATS!

PS: sorry for creeping you out this morning, Mandy. you really need to be more vigilant out there on the streets of Fenway…

12. Rachel
    March 6, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Press: 40kg
    WOD: 2+10 with 20 kg, 12kg split lunges, and 10 doubles.

I signed up!!

13. Cassie C
    March 6, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Press: 35kg – 38 for one, 37 for two… And all but one set of chin-ups with 10 pound dumbbells between my legs (that’s what she said?)
    WOD: 4 + 6 RX

14. Caitlin
    March 6, 2013 at 7:53 pm

This was a good night for me -
    20kg kb for the first time ever!
    Split squats and du’s
    3+31
    Also scaled up my chin ups! (29kg press)

I’m really hoping the first workout is the Robyn dance, because then I can ROCK IT. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv644ipg2Ss&feature=youtube_gdata_player

15. Jess B
    March 6, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Press: 28kg
    WOD: 2+16 w/20kg KB and pistols w/a 1kg plate underfoot. First WOD with something close to pistols! :-)