Fran

It’s been quite a while since we’ve seen Fran.  The reason, I’ve been trying to figure out the best way to program it.  Basically, what do I program it with?  No one wants to front squat before Fran, and she leaves you too smashed to really do quality skill work afterwards.  I’ve had this 1RM jerk dialed in for a while, and it hit me, this is the time for Fran!  Heavy jerks and light thrusters are a great training stimulus, and the jerk isn’t nearly as taxing as a squat or deadlift.  Perfect!  Or at least we’ll find out if it is tomorrow.JM_CrossFit_20121031_0502-M

March 1, 2013
Strength:
15 Minutes to Establish a 1RM Jerk

Fran
21-15-9
Thrusters (95#/65#)
Pull-ups

*10 Minute Cap

Compare to 111028

Vote for CrossFit Fenway! Each of the last 3 years CrossFit Fenway was voted Best Health Club in the Boston Phoenix Best Poll.  This year we’re going for the 4-peat!  CLICK HERE to vote for CrossFit Fenway as the Best Health Club (in the Shopping category) for 2013.  Vote for any of your other local favorites too, click submit, enter your name and e-mail address, then click submit again to cast your vote (once per day per e-mail address).  Show your CFF pride, and help us defend our title!

Scotty Rum’s Karaoke Night Fundraiser… With a Twist!  On March 9th Scott Rumrill is hosting a HUGE karaoke night at Copperfield’s, next to CrossFit Fenway.  Admission is $20, and all proceeds go to Scott’s fundraising effort for the American Liver Foundation.  The twist?  Sure, you can just do some good ol’ fashioned karaoke, or for a $5 donation you can pick a song and the person who sings it!  Immunity from being chosen to sing is available for an additional $10 donation at the door.  There will also be delicious barbecue courtesy of SoulFire.  If you can’t make it, but would still like to donate, Scott’s fundraising page is here.

CFF Spartan Race Team - Cynthia and Caitlin are forming a team for the Spartan Race in Amesbury on August 10th! This will be their first obstacle race, and they welcome the company of other first-timers and obstacle race veterans alike. Register here as part of team “Total Eclipse Of Your Mom” (they’re open to alternative team name suggestions if you don’t love “your mom” jokes and 80′s ballads as much as they do.) To get the cheapest registration rate, be sure to sign up before March 10th! Please e-mail Cynthia with questions, or come talk to us at the gym. LET’S WEAR SOME MUD, PEOPLE!

9 comments for “Fran

1. Garo
    February 28, 2013 at 9:06 pm

7:35 RX (I did it this morning)

First time doing Fran.
    I told myself I would do the first set of thrusters and all the pullups unbroken…I got to 16, and broke up the pullups for the last 2 sets. This WOD is tough but I am only about 5 or 6 minutes away from the Froning’s and Khalipa’s of the world.

March 1, 2013 at 8:36 am

Max Split Jerk: 90 kg (PR)

This felt really good today, and Sam had some great tips. I think I could have gone almost 5 kg higher, but didn’t have enough time.

Fran:
    8/1/11: 8:45 Rx
    10/28/11: 7:50 Rx
    3/1/13 6:11 Rx

Great work 6 am crew!

March 1, 2013 at 9:28 am

Max split jerk: 45kg
    “Fran”: 10:40 with 65# and blue+skinny red for pull-ups

Had to add the second band in mid first round, got burned more than I thought. But, I’m pretty sure that’s the first time I’ve used the prescribed weight in a WOD.

Thanks, Fran…first time is always special ;)

4. Sam B
    March 1, 2013 at 9:44 am

sj: 92kg could have gone higher
    fran: 7:11 rx
    first time doing this. really tough. need to work on more efficient pull-up movement.

March 1, 2013 at 10:50 am

i have some technique work to do on the split jerk, big time.

SJ: 115# (and i can push press 100# for 3…)

WOD: 7:20 Rx. Holy hell that was not fun. I PR-ed by 21 seconds over my time from the L1 last May, so I’m happy about that! I think I’m already sore though… :)

6. Mike G.
    March 1, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Jerk – 110kg. about 10 pounds off my max~

Fran – 5:07 Rx!
    2/12 – 6:24 Rx
    5/11 – 6:58 Rx

7. POPE
    March 1, 2013 at 5:32 pm

PUSH JERK – 90kg (new PR by 20kg!)

FRAN – 6:16

(was moving at a decent enough clip and felt like dying at the end, so scaling to 75#, two blues for pullups seemed about right)

8. Cynthia
    March 1, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Fran
    10/28/11: 20k, green and red bands, 8:12
    3/1/13: RX, 8:50

I would have liked my time to go down as much as my scaling has gone up, but I ran into a few issues. First, I fell apart mentally in the round of 15, then I finished the whole mess with an unintentional dismount on the penultimate pull up. If you missed it, here’s a completely accurate instant replay: http://www.lolriot.com/2012/08/03/what-the-gif-part-2/cool-gymnastics-gif-eneven-bars/

Next time, Fran. Next time.

9. Rachel