More than just Working Out

Having difficulty choosing a goal for the coming months?  CrossFit offers a lot for any athlete to work on, so narrowing it down can be tough.  If you’re doing well with the class workouts, and proficient in most of what we program day-to-day, maybe rather than picking a single movement or skill it’s worth considering a CrossFit competition.

Competition can turn daily workouts into focused training sessions, and help us push to new levels.  CrossFit Fenway has a few athletes, including Adie “80″ Sprague, Cal Sheedy, Daisy Robinton, James Higgins, James “Shorty” Schortemeyer, Kyle Eriks, Mandy Brown, and old friend Edmund Montanari competing in the 2012 Evolution Games at Athletic Evolution in Woburn this Sunday, June 10th.

The Garage Games are also right around the corner, with several events in the Northeast, including events at CrossFit New England, and CrossFit Providence, where I expect CrossFit Fenway to be well represented.  These competitions include various divisions, so everyone can find the one that’s right for them.  If you’re interested in competing, ask one of the CrossFit Fenway coaches to help you choose an event, or to help guide your preparations.  Even if you haven’t considered it in the past, a little competition could be just the thing  to jump start your training.

June 5, 2012
Strength:

Snatch Balance 3-3-3-3-3

100 Kettlebell Swings (24kg/16kg)

*Begin the workout with 5 burpees, perform 5 burpees every minute on the minute until the kettlebell swings are complete.

Compare to 120109

Fenway Park Spartan Sprint on November 17th, 2012 the creators of the Spartan Race series are turning Fenway Park into a 1 mile Spartan Sprint obstacle course.  It’s in our backyard, and rumor has it another local box is putting a team together, so let’s represent!  Kevin Kittredge has agreed to lead the CrossFit Fenway team, so please contact him in the next week if you’re interested.  More race details are available here.

14 comments for “More than just Working Out

1. Scott R
    June 4, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I too was signed up for the Evolution Games – as an individual competitor in the scaled division. Unfortunately, I just found out this past weekend that the individual competition on Saturday was cancelled due to a conflict with the CrossFit for Hope fundraiser.

However, looking at the team WODs for Sunday, I think they’re entirely do-able, and would like to do the team competition… Since the teams are male/female, I’m wondering if there are any women out there who would like to be on a team. Let me know!

Workouts are listed here: http://www.aecrossfit.com/2012-evolution-games-wods/

Scott

2. Scrappy
    June 5, 2012 at 8:20 am

SB — 26kg…awkward movement meets an awkward person.

WOD 1.9.12 — 5:41Rx
    WOD 6.5.12 — 4:36Rx

The key to this one was breathing DURING the KBS rather than wasting time breathing between the burpees and KBS. Nice work, 0530!

• KP
      June 5, 2012 at 10:49 am

Scrappy, en fuego.

3. Scott R
    June 5, 2012 at 8:41 am

SB – 50kg… this one felt pretty good actually.

WOD 1/9/12 7:52 Rx
    WOD 6/5/12 6:38 Rx

Gotta start working on those KB snatches to get more speed. All in all, a fun morning at CFF. Good to be back at the box after 2 weeks traveling in Miami.

Great job Rx-ing 6:30am!

• Shayna
      June 5, 2012 at 9:48 am

Yo Scott,
      I’d be interested. My only thing is the double unders! I have a bit of a broken foot and probably can’t bang many out since I haven’t been practicing! 617-620-0048 hit me up!

June 5, 2012 at 8:47 am

SB: 50kg

WOD: January 2012: 5:49 Rx
    WOD: June 2012: 5:46 Rx

Really wanted to get sub 5 on this one. Faster swings are needed. Great job 6am, way to fight through it.

5. KP
    June 5, 2012 at 10:48 am

SB: 30kg (35 for 2)
    1/12 9:50Rx
    6/12 8:59Rx*

*The more I think about it, the more I think there was a miscount and I owed 5 more swings. No Cooperstown for me. All the juicing has left my brain addled. My apologies to the league and more importantly, the fans.

6. Eugene Kim
    June 5, 2012 at 10:59 am

Hey! I didn’t know about all these local comps! Is there any crossfitfenway lady that would like to take on the partner wod with me?

No stress about doing well, I just want to work real hard in a competition setting again.

June 5, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Snatch Balance – 60kg
    WOD – 4:59 Rx
    1.9.12 – 5:26 Rx

Nice work 5:30

8. kk
    June 5, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Snatch Balance: 50kg

1/9/12: 6:35 Rx

got 23 reps in 1st minute; 20 reps; 17 reps; 15; 12; 13

9. June 5, 2012 at 7:12 pm

SB: 20kg (PR) – worked on form. Also gracefully fell over once.

1/9/12 – 8:50 Rx
    6/5/12 – 6:48 Rx

So proud of knocking 2 minutes off of my January time!

10. Rachel