Scaling Toes-to-Bar

Scaling in CrossFit through substitutions or modifications of movements, rather than adjusting weight or reps, often serves a couple of purposes.  First, it’s a path to eventually performing the full movement as prescribed.  Second, they’re often just bad enough that you’ll want to do the full RX as soon as possible.  Push-ups with hands elevated on a box, rather than from the knees is an example of the former.  Substituting 3 single-unders for every double-under is clearly the latter.  Doing 4 pull-ups and 4 ring dips for every muscle-up is a great example of killing both birds with one stone.

I’m not sure if we’re the originators of this idea, but we’re trying some similar scaling options with toes-to-bar and knees-to-elbows.  Before going down this road, if you have a handful of either of these movements choose to do them, and stick with them.  Yes, you may have to break up each round into several sets, coming off the bar, shaking it out, and getting back up for a rep or two at a time.  This is how you get better.  This modification is to get you from no toes-to-bar or knees-to-elbows to  being able to do toes-to-bar or knees-to-elbows.

So, rather than opting for the hanging tuck, with its ambiguous standards, and lack of real improvement towards the desired exercises you can choose this: Perform 1 strict pull-up and 2 sit-ups, scaled as needed, for every rep of toes-to-bar or knees-to-elbows.  This will work grip, core, and pulling strength necessary to develop the full movements.  It’s also awful enough that you’ll probably want to get your TTB or KTE on ASAP.  Come in Tuesday and scale this way, or don’t, and see how you hang with toes-to-bar.

May 24, 2011

Strength:
Front Squat 3-3-3-3-3

6 Rounds:
10 Burpees
10 Toes-to-Bar

*Scale toes-to-bar to knees-to-elbows or 1 strict pull-up and 2 sit-ups for every rep of toes-to-bar

3rd Annual Navy SEAL Memorial Challenge – AKA “Murph Day 2011

In honor of Medal of Honor recipient Lieutenant Michael Murphy and all fallen veterans, CrossFit Fenway joins Windy City CrossFit, SEALFit and other gyms nationwide to host “Murph Day 2011″ at 9 AM on Saturday, June 4th.   Proceeds will go to the Navy SEAL Foundation.  Any size donation is required to participate, and this event will be open to donations from supporters and spectators as well.  All donations are tax-deductible, please donate online, direct your donation toward the “Navy SEAL Memorial Challenge” and specify CrossFit Fenway in the comment section.  E-mail Eric if you’d like to participate in the workout and be sure to bring your receipt as it will serve as your ticket to compete. This is a fantastic event for a great cause, so please do everything you can to get friends, family, and the greater community involved!

Support the Team!

Regionals are right around the corner, and the CrossFit Fenway team is training hard, readying themselves to represent our box against the best athletes the Northeast has to offer.  Be there to support our athletes Friday, June 17th, Saturday, June 18th, and Sunday, June 19th at Reebok World Headquarters in Canton, MA.

13 comments for “Scaling Toes-to-Bar

1. Rachel W
    May 24, 2011 at 9:38 am

Front Squat: 50kg PR
    WOD: 11:06 (kind of RX as my T2B were of the swinging like a chimpanzee variety)

AWESOME to see the cff team working out this AM!! You guys ROCK! Can’t wait for regionals!

May 24, 2011 at 12:09 pm

FS: 100 x 3 – 105 x 1
    WOD: 9:10 Rx – plenty of doubles but no single T2B. That’s a win.

3. kevin
    May 24, 2011 at 1:45 pm

FS: 70kg

So today was a bit of a milestone for me, and like most milestones in crossfit I felt like it deserved a bit of acknowledgement (and reflection). Today marks my first full year of crossfit. I walked into CFF one year ago today (technically it should have been the day before, May 23rd, but I remember turning around in my car halfway to the box the day before because I was scared of what would happen when I couldn’t do…whatever the hell crossfit was, lol). The numbers (then/now):
    I
    am stronger…
    Deadlift (three rep max): 85kg/120kg
    HBBS: (five rep max): 55kg/85kg
    Push Press (five rep max): 50kg/70kg

And faster…
    A few comparable WOD’s:
    Baseline: 6:18 (with banded pull-ups)/5:10 Rx
    Row 2K: 8:05/7:39
    4 Rounds of run 400m plus 50 squats: 14:30/12:10

Don’t get me wrong–I feel like my journey is just beginning. There are still so many movements and lifts that I struggle with: handstand pushups (getting better!), double unders (I seem to be making the opposite of progress), muscle ups (I have yet to focus on these), kipping pull-ups (my kip sucks, it’s basically a dead hang pull-up repeated quickly) and don’t get me started on pistols. My focus this year will be to improve my technical proficiency and hold myself to the ‘games’ standards whenever possible.

All that said, it’s been a hell of a year and I’m in the best shape of my life.

• Shane B
      May 24, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Congratulations Kevin!

• Dan M.
      May 24, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Great work Kevin!

• Dan P.
      May 24, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Great job Kevin! Its always fun working out with you in the afternoon, and you’ve certainly made some BIG improvements since we first met last year. – “I’m in the best shape of my life.” That’s a pretty awesome thing to be able say with confidence. Feels so good.

• Jen K
      May 24, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Congrats Kevin!

• JT
      May 24, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Heck yes, Kevin. Congratulations. We’re all thrilled to see it, hear it, and be a part of it. Thanks so much for being here and putting in the work! You rock!

4. Tiffany
    May 24, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Well said. Way to go!

5. Yosh
    May 24, 2011 at 6:21 pm

FS: 100kg PR

WOD: 7:41 RX+ Regional standards on burpees

May 24, 2011 at 8:36 pm

FS: 70kg (2 @ 75kg)

WOD: 10:47 rx. Would like to string together more t to b

May 24, 2011 at 8:56 pm

FS: 50kg (almost 2 @52kg)

WOD: 8:40 rx

8. Danae
    May 24, 2011 at 10:42 pm

FS: 37kg (40kg x 2)

WOD: 12:25 (Kipping K2E)

This is kinda, sorta, my first RX.