Karen

This Friday we’ve got Karen again (last programmed on September 10, 2011).  Karen is one of the benchmarks that you may want to consider scaling up if you’ve tried it a handful of times, and consistently hit a good score (around 6 minutes).  If you’re a wall ball wizard like Stacey, Joe, or Aaron you can add a weight vest, or a heavier med ball.  However you decide to scale it, the best thing you can do for your Karen score is hold onto the ball.

February 4, 2011

WOD: Karen
150 Wall Ball Shots (20#/14#)

Paleo meal delivery is now available at CrossFit Fenway from Paleo Comfort Cuisine.  Place orders by 9 PM on Sunday for Monday delivery at 5 PM, or by 9 PM Wednesday for 5 PM delivery on Thursday.  These tasty, prepared meals eliminate any excuses between you and clean eating.

12 comments for “Karen

1. Amy
    February 4, 2011 at 8:26 am

The positivity manifesto on the board has inspired me to offer up my copy of Barbara Ehrnenreich’s (Nickel & Dimed)newest book: Bright-Sided: How Positive Thinking is Undermining America. It a thought provoking, well researched contrarian call for authenticity, not positivity. Have book. Will lend.

2. Scrappy
    February 4, 2011 at 9:12 am

9/10/10 — 15:02 @ 10# and probably sub-8′ target (blue tape outside)
    2/4/11 — 16:34 @ 10# and 10′ target

On the positivity thread, I definitely should have taken a couple of 10-burpee penalties. Today was slightly reminiscent of my h.s. tennis days (I was a little MacEnroe)…thanks Stace and the other 5:30er’s for pushing me through the last 40.

3. Julie D.
    February 4, 2011 at 9:45 am

6 rounds:
    20 weighted sit-ups (30#)
    20 driving wheels – 2 rounds with 10kg plate, 4 rounds with 5 kg plate.
    11:41

Well team, 14 days later, the stitches are coming out this afternoon! A pair of shin guards have been purchased… perhaps others in the Box Bite Club also would like to dress up like a soccer player from now on with me?

• Haley
      February 4, 2011 at 10:03 am

jules, i think i’m going to buy you a mouthguard, just to complete the ensemble. :)

injury wod:
      10 rounds
      10 box jumps (24″)
      10 right arm DB thrusters (35#)
      10:04

awesome work by everyone this morning! so many big improvements since september. i’m pretty sure sam cut his time in half.. congrats!

• Julie D.
        February 4, 2011 at 10:52 am

A mouthguard isn’t a bad idea! I was originally thinking that I would have to dress up like an ice hockey goalie or the main character from The Hurt Locker, so a soccer player with a mouthguard isn’t too bad :)

And I would like to second the congrats to everyone today — some amazing times/efforts from the morning crew!

4. Neal
    February 4, 2011 at 10:20 am

19:42 RX. First time attempting wall balls with a 20# ball since starting crossfit. had been using a 14# until today.

In another big win, I was able to string together some unbanded kipping pullups this morning during the warm-up. Six months since starting crossfit FTW!!!

• Lesley
      February 4, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Nice one, Neal!

• Scott R
      February 4, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Neil – your effort was amazing. Nice work getting to the Rx weight. And I hope to be inspired by you in order to string some kips together.

5. Zander
    February 4, 2011 at 10:53 am

13:26 RX… Time to do some wall ball practice.

6. Scott R
    February 4, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Woo-hoo! A rare Rx for me. Last time we did this, my shoulder was hurt, so I substituted in 150 front squats at 40 kg. I think i like the wall balls better.

Nice work 7:30 class!

7. Jen K
    February 4, 2011 at 8:38 pm

12:51 rx.

Last time was something like 17 minutes at 10#.

8. Sam