Performance Zs

We’ve all heard it plenty of times, 7 to 9 hours of sleep a night is ideal.  We know it’s essential to recovery, and if we’re missing the mark in our workouts it’s one of the things we’ll look at.  The position we sleep in can also impact performance, and was the focus of Tuesday’s Mobility WOD, which also reminded me of these blog entries (part 1, part 2) by CrossFit Invictus from back in December.  As Kstar says “athletes that respect themselves don’t sleep on their stomachs”.  As someone who alternates between the fetal and freefaller positions (see diagram at right), I need to work on my sleeping technique, and use the soldier position more often.  This probably explains my tricky shoulder/neck/back/traps.  I switched my pillow, which seemed to help, but just like buying a new pair of running sneakers to aid sore knees, it’s only putting a bandage on the situation.  To remedy the problem, the form must be corrected.

Wednesday’s metcon here at CrossFit Fenway is a mainsite favorite, and a great test of bodyweight conditioning.  Like the baseline workout, but a little longer and with less movements, it’s not a question of how the work will be done, but how fast.  There’s no reason to break up the reps, just charge through them.  Here’s a video of Chris Spealler getting it done in 6:42 (WMV/MOV)

September 29th, 2010

Strength: Overhead Squat 3-3-3-3-3

100′ walking lunges
9 pull-ups
9 sit-ups
100′ walking lunges
6 pull-ups
6 sit-ups

Announcements

Many members of CrossFit Fenway are running in the BAA Half Marathon on Sunday, October 10th.  We’ll be hosting a prerace potluck at CrossFit Fenway on Saturday, October 9th at 6 PM.  Please RSVP here and let us know what you’re bringing by Thursday, October 7th.

Compete in the most physically demanding obstacle course available on Saturday, November 13th in Marshfield at Ruckus Boston 2010Stephanie Schneider is helping to organize the CrossFit Fenway team.  Please contact her if you’d like to participate, as discounts are available for teams.

The Beast of the East throwdown at CrossFit New England is Saturday, November 6th.  Our athletes are getting ready.  Mark your calendars, and get ready to come cheer on your CrossFit Fenway teammates.

22 comments for “Performance Zs

1. Nathan
    September 28, 2010 at 11:30 pm

It is 11:30 pm as I read this, and I have to get up in under 6 hours for class. Irony?

• Nathan
      September 29, 2010 at 9:54 am

OHS: 60kg (65kg to insufficient depth)

How would I have performed with a full night’s rest? The world may never know.

Eric, have you tried sewing a tennis ball to the front of a t-shirt?

• eric
        September 29, 2010 at 10:17 am

No tennis ball…yet.

2. Justin S
    September 29, 2010 at 7:17 am

Also ironic that this post coincided with the worst sleep I’ve had in months.

OHS: 80kg
    WOD: 9:33 Rx, I could have smoked spealler if I only had to go to the 12 rep set.

3. September 29, 2010 at 8:49 am

What Eric didn’t mention was that in order to correct his sleeping form, he’s also hired a former Russian school teacher to slap him with a three day old codfish every time he rolls onto his stomach. He’s very serious about this.

• eric
      September 29, 2010 at 10:16 am

It’s Pose sleeping with Romanov’s brother. I was pretty good for the first few hours last night, but from about 2 AM onwards my technique degraded, and I was beaten by that cod like a red headed step child, which I happen to be.

4. Yosh
    September 29, 2010 at 8:59 am

“Hey baby, let me show you the starfish.” – Great pickup line!

5. Justin S.
    September 29, 2010 at 10:17 am

A great note on potential from Games athlete Blair Morrison of Crossfit Mobile

6. Scrappy
    September 29, 2010 at 10:20 am

I’m a big freefaller, and for insufficient time at that. This explains everything…

7. Christina Nik
    September 29, 2010 at 10:29 am

I sleep like I’m in a coffin – hands folded across chest… and wake up in any weird position… but who knows what happens during the night.

Great workout today, felt great… but I’m so hungry and keep eating… all good stuff of course.

8. Haley
    September 29, 2010 at 10:31 am

OHS- 55kg
    WOD: 14:54 rx .. cutting it a little too close to the 15 min time cap

justin, i finally ate the fudge (stacey convinced me since it had been in the freezer that i was safe)… SOOO GOOD. feel free to make another batch any time now :)

• Haley
      September 29, 2010 at 10:52 am

also… today is dennis’ birthday.. the big 22. he’s currently sailing somewhere between ghana and south africa, but he can check his email!

dsmoriconi@semesteratsea.net

wish him a happy birthday and tell him to stop slacking and go wod.

9. POPE
    September 29, 2010 at 11:01 am

OHS: 65kg
    WOD: 16:43 – got confused and lost some time stopping on the cutoff. lunges kill.

i freefall to fetal. maybe log it up sometimes. soldier just feels weird…

10. Dan
    September 29, 2010 at 11:38 am

Hahaha. I am so stupid. I did this workout on my own and neglected to see the ‘ or foot marker on the walking lunges. I ended up doing 100 walking lunges per round. That’s 600 in total! Should’ve watched Spealer’s demo video. Oh well. Lesson learned. Took me 26:19 and my legs are quite tired… Like they’ve been beaten with a 3 day old codfish by a Russian school teacher.
    OH Squat: 55kg

11. Yosh
    September 29, 2010 at 6:01 pm

OHS: 70kg puuuuumped
    WOD: 9:46 RX
    -situps were super slow god damn

• Justin S
      September 29, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Sick OHS bro, that’s really impressive

• Ted
        September 29, 2010 at 7:40 pm

“The Incredible Yosh” – nice time and OHS.

OHS: 60kg (I feel a little tighter than the last time I did them)
        WOD: 15:20ish Rx

12. Eric P.
    September 29, 2010 at 7:39 pm

80kg OHS, attempted 90kg, but the first rep wasn’t low enough – rep 2 and 3 were low.

11:44 WOD

13. September 30, 2010 at 6:55 am

i freefall to fetal. maybe log it up sometimes. soldier just feels weird

September 30, 2010 at 9:41 am

OHS 20KG, which is PR for me. Granted, when you start from the bottom the only way to go is up…but I finally felt way more comfortable with this one and my shoulder flexibility seems to have improved a lot over the last few weeks.

WOD: 14:35 with a green resistance band. i never realized how hard lunges can be when you’re tired!

15. JT
    September 30, 2010 at 12:29 pm

I sleep like a soldier when alone; starfish when being used as a pillow. Snuggles are awesome.