A Buy-in for a Ladder

Starting the week off with a bang.  Monday’s conditioning workout features mono-structural cardiovascular conditioning as a buy-in for a technical slow lift and gymnastics couplet ladder.  You’re going to have 12 minutes to run a mile, and then complete as many repetitions as possible of an overhead squat and ring dip ladder.  The faster you run that mile, the more time you have to rack up reps.  The beauty of a ladder workout is that it seems so easy in the beginning (even this one will after that mile run), but then it hits you like a mistimed wall ball shot, and those get up muscles decide they’ve got up for the last time.  Make your brain tell your body who’s in charge, and get it done.

September 13th, 2010

Strength: Push Press 3-3-3-3-3

AMRAP 12

• Buy-in: 1 mile run (3 laps around the block)
  • In the remaining time complete as many rounds as possible of an ascending ladder of overhead squats (95#/65#) and ring dips (1 OHS, 1 dip, 2 OHS, 2 dips, 3 OHS, 3 dips, etc.)
  • Score is total reps completed

Announcements

Our resident exposers of the sexy, the Saint Clair’s are hosting another awesome breakfast Sunday, September 19th at 11 AM.  RSVP here by Friday the 17th, to enjoy good food and good company, hanging out with friends from CrossFit Boston and CrossFit Southie.

Fight Gone Bad has raised more than $2 million in its first four editions. This year LIVESTRONG, Wounded Warrior Project, and the CrossFit Foundation are benefiting from the fundraising efforts. On Saturday, September 25th we’ll be running our heats. CrossFit Fenway has raised a combined $6,651. Register today, and join the fight as part of the CrossFit Fenway team.

The Sox are out west, playing out the string, so free parking is available in the lot around CrossFit Fenway all day Monday.

30 comments for “A Buy-in for a Ladder

1. Scott R
    September 12, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Loving the earlier postings of the next day’s workout! It might ne a little strange, but I can’t go to sleep until I know what the workout the next morning is going to be. It’s like opening a little Christmas present every day.

2. Justin S.
    September 13, 2010 at 8:10 am

Great to finally meet Zach who is visiting from Crossfit LA. I was hoping the cold weather this morning would slow him down so i could keep up with him on the run but no such luck.

Push Press: 85kg
    WOD: 8 OHS + 4 dips

• Jen G.
      September 13, 2010 at 9:00 am

It was quite fun when I was strolling in and the 2 of you went flying past.

• Zach
      September 13, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Good to meet you too man. Fun workout today, but you got it backwards with the cold: the colder it is, the faster I need to get back inside…

Hopefully see you again later this week.

3. Shrujal
    September 13, 2010 at 8:37 am

Great job to everyone in the 530 class – way to push hard!

Push Press: Absolute crap – can’t even post this one
    WOD: 5 + 1 – PR’d my mile time – Thanks to Ron for setting a good pace for me (and for pulling ahead to make me work harder). It was definitely fun to watch Justin and Zach go at it!

4. Jen G.
    September 13, 2010 at 9:02 am

Push Press- 39kg
    Didn’t feel as ugly as before, so I guess that’s good.

WOD: 4+5 OHS (28kg, 1 red band for dips)

Probably PRed my mile though, so WIN.

5. David
    September 13, 2010 at 9:08 am

Your workout is our warmup is my pass out.

Things can only get better.

6. POPE
    September 13, 2010 at 9:41 am

…taking consolation in the fact that at the very least, i shaved off about a minute off my mile (which set a new PR).

• Shruj
      September 13, 2010 at 11:01 am

Pope, every PR is one step closer to your next goal…congrats man.

• POPE
        September 14, 2010 at 7:33 am

thanks, Shruj. just gotta remind myself – every little bit counts.

7. Justin S.
    September 13, 2010 at 10:13 am

I made this over the weekend and thought id share for all of us eating Paleo but still have a little sweet tooth (me). I present Paleo Fudge…

2c almond butter

1/4c cocoa powder

1/2c + 2 T honey

1T coconut oil, melted (optional)

2t vanilla extract

1t salt

* t =teaspoon, T=tablespoon

Method

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix until well incorporated.

Spoon the mixture into a pan and flatten with the back of a spoon. Place in the freezer for an hour or so, then take it out to cut into bite-size squares or rectangles. Keep the fudge covered and stored in the freezer.

• Lesley
      September 13, 2010 at 10:27 am

Thank you! Always looking for Paleo recipes. That sounds so good!

• Haley
      September 13, 2010 at 10:55 am

sooooo, when are you bringing samples into class? :)

• Scott R
      September 13, 2010 at 11:41 am

Please post this stuff on the discussion boards on the CFF FaceBook group so it doesn’t get lost in the WOD blog as time goes by.

• Jen G.
      September 13, 2010 at 2:03 pm

This will be making an appearance at my next lab function.

How much does this make?

• Justin S
        September 13, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Makes quite a few if you cut them into bite size chunks, 60-70 maybe

8. Justin S.
    September 13, 2010 at 11:03 am

ill bring a few wed. morning if there are any left

• Yosh
      September 13, 2010 at 11:26 am

I think that’d be a great idea to start sharing some Paleo recipes. Good thinkin Justin!

• Justin S.
        September 13, 2010 at 11:39 am

im not just a pretty face yosh

• Jen G.
          September 13, 2010 at 2:02 pm

HAHAHA.

9. Tiffany
    September 13, 2010 at 12:54 pm

PP: 45kg
    WOD Rx: 4 rounds + 2 ring dips
    Awesome work-out! First time EVER that I wish I had more time on the clock. Ring dips slowed me down today.

10. Pat
    September 13, 2010 at 1:04 pm

31 years 5’10″ 180

Did the WoD First, got to 6 solid sets with about 30s left…
    Then did the Push Press 95, 115, 115, 115, 115.. Should have done more…..

Great 30min work out. Love this site

11. CJ
    September 13, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Pushpress:60kg (my shoulders are weeeeaaak)I need some work on that

WOD: I saw Justin S’s number from early this morning and my goal was to beat it and I did with 8 OH squats +5 dips with 2 seconds left and failed my 6th rep…
    Thank you to the early morning crews you guys give me a push and something to shoot for!!That extra competitive drive to push it past the limit!

• CJ
      September 13, 2010 at 1:55 pm

forgot this 25 years old /6’4″ /240lbs

12. Dan
    September 13, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Push Press: 65kg – Not a PR, but my shoulders felt a little funky today… so I’ll take it.
    WOD: 5rds + 2 reps Rx. – My mile time was 5:58. First time under 6 minutes in about 5 years. 95# OH Squat is heavy for me.
    Great job noon class. I like that new faces keep showing up all the time.

13. Yosh
    September 13, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Push Press: 75kg PR
    WOD: 7 rds. RX and a PR for my mile (5:35)

14. Scrappy
    September 13, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Ugh. Today was one of those days I walked in feeling good mentally but left PO’d. I haven’t fully recovered from Murph (which was an amazing experience) and I KNOW that, but I was still frustrated.

Push-press: 37kg PR
    WOD: 6rds plus 7 OHS, scaled bigtime. I need to spend some serious time doing interval training, my short runs are nowhere near where I’d like them.

Tomorrow is another day. Nice job everyone.

15. Eric P.
    September 13, 2010 at 8:29 pm

90kg Push Press
    8rounds plus 1

6:50mile, and I think Yosh lapped me around Fenway… damn!

September 13, 2010 at 8:59 pm

22kg for push press…still working on getting the logistics down before getting too heavy.

5 rounds plus 5OHS in the 6th round. 6:30ish for the mile, in the rain…need to work on getting my shoulders more flexible, i have such a hard time keeping the bar overhead.

17. Jen W.
    September 14, 2010 at 10:21 am

53kg Push Press

3 rounds on the WOD @ 20 kg…after a 10:25 mile.

Need to work on the run, but the lifting felt great! My shoulders are cooked today – I acutally had a hard time putting my hair up for work because I couldn’t hold my arms up.