9/11/10, Murph

In memory of Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy, 29, of Patchogue, N.Y., who was killed in Afghanistan June 28th, 2005.

This workout was one of Mike’s favorites and he’d named it ‘Body Armor.’ From here on it will be referred to as ‘Murph’ in honor of the focused warrior and great American who wanted nothing more in life than to serve this great country and the beautiful people who make it what it is.

• 1 mile Run
  • 100 Pull-ups
  • 200 Push-ups
  • 300 Squats
  • 1 mile Run

For time.
Partition the pull-ups, push-ups, and squats as needed. Start and finish with a mile run. If you’ve got a twenty pound vest or body armor, wear it.

Fight Gone Bad benefits the Wounded Warrior Project, and is a great opportunity to give back to those that have given so much to our country, while doing something you love. On Saturday, September 25th we’ll be running our heats as the Invasion workout.  If you’re not registered and fundraising, you will not be able to workout that day. Register today, and join the fight as part of the CrossFit Fenway team.

27 comments for “9/11/10, Murph

1. Nathan
    September 10, 2010 at 12:18 pm

This (free) CrossFit Journal article tells Lt. Murphy’s story, if you’d like to learn a little bit about the man in whose name you are going to sweat tomorrow:

• Zach
      September 10, 2010 at 12:40 pm

And if you want to read the full account of Lt. Murhpy and his team’s story, the book “Lone Survivor” by Marcus Luttrell (the only surviving SEAL) goes into the harrowing details. Pretty incredible stuff.

(BTW for those of you who don’t know me, which is probably most of you, I visited you guys from Crossfit LA for a few days last week. You all made me feel SO welcome that I will be back next week for a few more days. Look forward to training with y’all again)

• Jen G.
        September 10, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Can you bring warm weather?

• Yosh
        September 10, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Zach,
        You put up some awesome numbers brotha. Ill be in next week as well and I hope to get a chance to work out with you. Lookin forward to meetin ya man.

• Zach
          September 10, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Right back at you man. Unfortunately I’ll be coming in mostly at 5:30am if you can stomach that (I’m cringing as I think about it…)

• Yosh
            September 10, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Ill see what I can do, might do me some good for an early bird special haha. What are you traveling for? Business?

• Zach
            September 10, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Yup, business. Trying to figure out when I’ll be able to come but hopefully I make it there most days.

2. Justin S.
    September 10, 2010 at 3:12 pm

also here is a pretty cool and funny blog from a guy at Crossfit New England on his battle with Murph…

3. Jen G.
    September 10, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I have Lone Survivor if anyone wants to borrow it.

• JT
      September 11, 2010 at 5:17 pm

I’ll take it, Jen!

4. Yosh
    September 10, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Give this one your all guys, wish I could be there with you tomorrow!

September 10, 2010 at 8:23 pm

good luck to everyone taking this on!!!

6. Yosh
    September 11, 2010 at 10:46 am

Hope everyone finished strong today!

Got done with the triathlon this morning and just as Justin had attested after his Falmouth race, Crossfit is the shit. There is a reason why we all train so hard to see progression in our ability levels. I wanted to experiment this race with training soley with Crossfit (no pool time, bike time, and running only in WODs). I pr’d my swim by almost 2 minutes and I believe I pr’d my overall time by 3 min. I love training with you guys, seriously the best atmosphere I’ve ever been in.

• Cal
      September 11, 2010 at 1:46 pm

congrats, yosh!!! that’s amazing. that’s really, really awesome and encouraging to hear! nice job!

• Kristin
      September 11, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Amazing, my friend! Congrats!

• Scott R
      September 11, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Fantastic work Yosh! Congratulations! I would love to hear more about it when I see you at the box.

• Nathan
      September 11, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Grats, Yosh

• Krystyn
      September 11, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Congrats!!!!

7. eric
    September 11, 2010 at 12:59 pm

It was my honor to be able to do this one with all of you this morning. The attitude, effort, and intensity on display was fitting of this workout.

32:50, no vest

After about an hour recovery, with Joe and Aaron, 30 muscle-ups for time, 6:43, 17 seconds slower than my PR.

Have a great weekend.

• JT
      September 11, 2010 at 5:19 pm

54:54, no vest. About the same as last time. This was one big way to jump back in after two weeks off, traveling. I’m glad to be back.

8. Kristin
    September 11, 2010 at 2:35 pm

1:10:00 – a slugfest
    Thanks to everyone for their incredible support, including letting me finish on my own terms. It means more than you know. xoxo

• Krystyn
      September 11, 2010 at 5:33 pm

So proud of you! ~xo

9. Scott R
    September 11, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Would’ve loved to join you all this morning, but I can barely walk from the 150 front squats yesterday. Big, BIG ups to those of you who participated this morning.

10. Nathan
    September 11, 2010 at 2:38 pm

39:44, no vest

Strong effort by everyone today. I’m proud to be a part of this community.

11. Haley
    September 11, 2010 at 6:12 pm

55:56, no vest

Today was a big struggle for me, but totally worth it. Thanks to everyone who pushed me to the finish.

12. Scrappy
    September 12, 2010 at 4:27 pm

60:14, no vest, but Rx with dead-hang pullups.

Every muscle in me is screaming today, but it was worth it. Great way of honoring those who gave their lives so that we may be free. Excellent work by everyone there.

13. December 8, 2010 at 9:44 am

glad to be one of several visitors on this awe inspiring web site : D.